Network Engineer (Gardener)
Gardener is an open source Kubernetes management solution by SAP and Telekom. Gardener supports deploying Kubernetes clusters on different hyperscalers and proprietary virtualization platforms. Gardener follows an inception model: Managing Kubernetes with Kubernetes. With Gardener on Metal we bring this concept to the bare metal: manage physical servers and network infrastructure with Kubernetes to run Kubernetes clusters on top – providing them to SAP and Telekom developers and customers. The classical virtualization layer is replaced by Kubernetes‘ cloud native approach. Modern networking concepts like eBGP in combination with a Clos topology guarantee highly performing and resilient connectivity.
- As a Senior/Expert Software Developer you will be a crucial part of the development of our
- Software Defined Network (SDN) infrastructure.
- You will code Container Network Interfaces (CNI) for Kubernetes pods, create and automate router configurations on the physical hosts and L3 switches (frr, GoBGP, SONiC) and find a solution for a resilient Layer 4 load balancer, that does not drop sessions when scaling horizontally.
- You will keep our network running, do performance benchmarks, evaluate user space networking and enhance our network stack continually.
- Most of your code will be open source and written in Go and Bash – but we also love Rust and C/C++.
- Collaboration with other SAP and Telekom teams and partners in an international environment will be a regular part of your work.
- In depth knowledge about OSI Layers 2-4 (Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP)
- Routing and switching in general, BGP
- Overlay Networks and VPN technologies (MPLS, VLAN, VXLAN, GENEVE)
- Linux Kernel networking
- Multiple years of professional coding experience – preferably with C/C++, Go or Rust
- Hands on experience with network configuration on AWS EC2, GCP or Azure
- Written and verbal communication skills in English, ability to communicate effectively in a global team
- Friendly team
- Interesting projects, business trips to Europe
- Flexible working hours
- Lounge zones, summer terraces with a view, coffee & tea 24/7
- Partial compensation of gym membership fee
- Training & development activities
- Official employment, Annual bonus
- Voluntary health insurance
- Volleyball, football, table football, ping-pong, hockey, PS4, bicycle parking
- T-Kickbox corporate startup accelerator