Senior Software Engineer (Virtualization)
Gardener on Metal - What it is all about Gardener is an open source Kubernetes management solution by SAP and Telekom. Gardener supports deploying Kubernetes clusters on different hyperscalers and proprietary virtualization platforms. Gardener follows an inception model: Managing Kubernetes with Kubernetes. With Gardener on Metal we bring this concept to the bare metal: manage physical servers and network infrastructure with Kubernetes to run Kubernetes clusters on top – providing them to SAP and Telekom developers and customers. The classical virtualization layer is replaced by Kubernetes‘ cloud native approach. We use KVM (QEMU and firecracker) for sandboxing applications of different tenants, leveraging Kubernetes as a control plane.
- As a Senior/Expert Software Developer you will be a crucial part of the development of our Linux based infrastructure.
- You will:
- Write Kubernetes operators for managing QEMU/KVM processes
- Automate hardware inventory after boot up
- Modify the Linux kernel to fit our physical servers
- Automate remote management of our servers using the BMC
- Your target: automate our server infrastructure deployment, always having a simple day-two operations in mind to increase the resiliency of the whole setup. Most of your code will be open source and written in Go. Collaboration with other SAP and Telekom teams and partners in an international environment will be a regular part of your work.
- Key Qualifications:
- In depth knowledge about Linux system fundamentals, the Linux Kernel and virtualization (KVM)
- Fluency in Go, C/C++ or Rust
- Multiple years of experience in software development
- Experience with running Linux servers in production
- Good knowledge about Linux containers, overlay filesystems
- Hands on Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Solid knowledge about networking (Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, TLS) and Linux networking tools and concepts Working Experience 5+ years of relevant work experience in a similar Linux
- System development position – ideally in the Cloud context.
- Friendly team
- Interesting projects, business trips to Europe
- Flexible working hours
- Lounge zones, summer terraces with a view, coffee & tea 24/7
- Partial compensation of gym membership fee
- Training & development activities
- Official employment, Annual bonus
- Voluntary health insurance
- Volleyball, football, table football, ping-pong, hockey, PS4, bicycle parking
- T-Kickbox corporate startup accelerator